Thursday, September 15, 2011

Priceless Expressions

09/15/2011

I have this thing about wanting people in cars to stay in their own lane when I ride my bike. I don’t know what it is – something about my control nature that thinks people can pay attention to what they are doing and keep their cars in their own lane. This issue comes up on corners where they cut through the inside (like when I was hit once) or just going down a neighborhood street and they drive in the center of the street to make it easier. Well, like I mentioned before, if I am not around it is no big deal. But if the car is coming against me in my lane I do not like it. I guess the right thing to do would be for me to get out of their way, to move out of my correct position and let them have my space (did I word that in a “controlling” manner?). But for some reason that does not occur to me very often.

I have a new game I call “Priceless Expressions”.  What is this you ask? Well, it means if someone is coming against me in my lane, I give them space – but just enough to not let them hit me. I will stay in my lane and not move too far. Someone not paying attention will invariably see me at the last minute (unless they are still on the phone) and when they realize they almost ran into me I see the biggest “oh my gosh…”,  wide open mouth, eyebrows hitting the scalp, hand clenching the steering wheel expressions that I wish I could capture on camera. Yes, a “Priceless Expressions” that amuses me on my rides to work.

I am looking for a safer way to get my point across but for now this seems to be working. The problem is, will I always be paying enough attention to see them? Please watch for bicycles when you drive out there. I guess on the flip side, if someone does ever hit me they may just say they saw a “Priceless Expressions”.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment