Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Good, The Bad and “what was that?”

03/06/2012

The day started out great. No better way to be riding in to work than to be riding over paintings done the day before that show a bicycle in the road with arrows to make drivers more aware to Share the Road with bicyclists. Signs will soon follow with that message – “Share the Road”. I am very glad to see this happening in Allen – Way to Go City of Allen! We can start getting inline with all those other states that are so bicycle friendly. (Twin Creeks / Suncreek drives)

The ride home was a little different – 25mph winds with gusts to 39mph. A little more of a workout across the wind but ohhh was it nice once I was riding with the wind. I have to admit; once I spun out on the single speed I wished I had some more high gears!

And now for the “what was that?”. On the morning ride in I was going against the wind. At a stop sign there was a large trash truck; a large drafting truck. I took off close to him and there was no wind bothering me. That lasted until a box flew out of the truck and luckily struck just my hands / handlebars and it then blew on over me. I backed off quickly as some other debris flew past me and I realized the error of my ways. Don’t draft off vehicles that can lose their load.

My new quote: “Sometimes things happen to help remind us of things we should not do. We may still think it is a good idea at times but try to remember that lesson we learned earlier; deep down we know it is not a good idea. {Paul Konrad, lessons I learned behind a trash truck, 3/6/2012}”

Enjoy the Ride,
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment