Sunday, July 10, 2011

How much do cell phones add to our life?

07/10/11

Cell phones sure are convenient to have. They help us stay connected to everything that is going on everywhere else. But sometimes I think we need to know what is going on around us; what is important to me right here and now?

Whether riding to work or just out on a fun W/E ride, I typically see an instance of a motorist not paying as much attention to their surroundings as they could had they not been on their cell phone while driving. Why isn't their driving and cutting me off at the turn more important than that call?

I used to think of a cell phone as a nice emergency tool - something to have with me in case I have trouble on my bike while out on a ride. But now I am concerned that a cell phone will be the reason that I will have trouble on my bike!

On a recent trip to California I thought they had the answer; a law that prohibits driving while using a cell phone unless it is hands free. But I was reminded that the law is only a law. It does not mean it is followed. So what would make cell phone usage safe?

Maybe we go back to our kindergarten training; don't do things that hurt others. There are many times that the use of a cell phone and driving are not a problem at all. But please, pause that call for a few seconds while you are passing me on my bike in busy traffic. Now that wasn't that difficult was it?

Paul
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments:

Post a Comment